Mom’s Beef Lasagna
• I cup onion, small dice
• ½ cup celery, small dice
• ½ cup carrot, small dice
• San Marzano tomatoes, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
• 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
• 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
• 1 Tbsp tomato paste
• 1 lb. Mom’s ground beef
• Lasagna noodles ( cooked according to package directions, no-boil noodles can be used as well)
• 2 cups ricotta
• 2 cups mozzarella, grated
• ½ cup parmesan, grated
• ½ cup pecorino, grated
1. Season the beef with salt and brown in a skillet. Drain the fat and set aside.
2. Add a Tbsp. of olive oil and sauté the onion, celery and carrots along with a little salt. Sweat the vegetables until they soften slightly, add garlic and sauté for a few more minutes. ( Be careful not to brown)
3. Add the tomato and tomato paste. Simmer for 10-15 minutes and salt to taste. Add the herbs and browned beef. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, and season to taste if necessary.
4. Grease a deep, square baking dish and add a layer of the meat sauce. Cover sauce with a layer of pasta. Spread a layer of ricotta over the pasta, and sprinkle mozzarella, parmesan, and pecorino over the ricotta. Continue to layer the ingredients in that order. End with a layer of tomato sauce. Reserve a layer of mozzarella Cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Uncover the lasagna and add the remaining cheese. Bake until the cheese is bubbly. Let the lasagna cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Innkeepers Inn Above Onion Creek